RAINBOWS FOR ALL CHILDREN is now forming groups at St. Elisabeth’s Church of Glencoe
Rainbows for All Children offers peer support groups, led by trained facilitators, for children who are grieving the loss of a loved one due to death, divorce, separation, military deployment, incarceration, a long-term illness, or another life-altering event.
The support groups are for pre-k through high school aged children from all economic, racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds. Children are able to grieve, communicate and heal among peers; they no longer feel alone in their grief and gain confidence from the group support.
Over 83% of children in the U.S. will experience one or more of these traumatic events at some point during their childhood. Children who have been through the program report greater confidence in their ability to deal with the emotional turmoil of traumatic events.
Additionally, the program has been shown to:
- help children develop and strengthen problem-solving skills and appropriate behavior and anger management;
- improve school attendance and academic performance;
- alleviate depression and anxiety;
- reduce emotional pain and suffering;
- improve communication in their families; and
- reduce the likelihood of destructive behavior such as involvement with gangs, alcohol and substance abuse.
Rainbows is FREE for all participants.
For more information or to join a group, please call Susan Chadd at 847-835-0458.